A skilled independent work visa is a type of visa that permanently allows working, and residing in Australia. If you are a foreign-skilled national worker and appear on Australia’s skilled occupation list, you are eligible to apply for a skilled independent work visa. However, as an applicant, you will be required to complete a skills test and be sponsored by an employer, family member, or get a nomination from the state.
For New Zealand citizens living in Australia, it will be easier to acquire permanent citizenship. This is made possible due to an additional path that became a new stream within the skilled independent (Subclass 189) visa.
Nonetheless, you are required to meet the following requirements for an application for the visa;
- Hold a special category (subclass 444) visa.
- To have lived in Australia for 5 years and started living before Feb 19th, 2016
- You should meet the health requirements
- Be of good character
What are the benefits of a skilled independent work visa?
With the skilled independent work visa, you and your family are guaranteed all the benefits including a permanent residency in Australia. More benefits may include;
- Working and living in Australia permanently
- An opportunity to attend school in Australia
- Enjoy government healthcare. You will be allowed to freely enroll in Medicare which is a government health program.
- An opportunity to apply for Australian citizenship
- Sponsor relatives for permanent residence.
- Freedom to travel in and out of Australia.
How can I apply for a skilled independent work visa?
- Check if your occupation is on the skilled occupation list.
This type of visa favors those whose occupation is on the list.
Ensure you meet all the required requirements below:
- Should be under 50 years
- Good English skills, both reading, and writing.
- Meet health requirements
- Be of good character
- Free from any debt in Australia
- Agree to sign the Australian Value Statements
- Complete a skills Assessment
In the skill assessment, you must obtain an acceptable score after completing the skill assessment to qualify for the subclass 189 visa. Detailed information on how to get a proper skills assessment can be found on the Australian Department of Home Affairs (DHA) website.
- Submit an Expression of interest through skill select
The skill select program will be responsible for linking you to your employer. However, they will question you more about your background, skills, and previous work history. Once you submit your Expression of interest, your EOI will be received by the Australian government together with the Australian employers who will be in need to hire people of different skill sets, including yours.
- Find a sponsor to obtain a government nomination.
You will be required to have an employer or government nomination. However, if you lack a sponsor, you can get an employer through the skill set program. The program does a commendable job in connecting employers in Australia with foreign-skilled workers. Once this is done, you will receive an invitation letter to apply for the subclass 189 visa.
- Have your sponsor complete the necessary paperwork.
Once you find a suitable sponsor (employer, family, government), they will be required to nominate you for the visa. This can be done through the DHA website.
- Application for the skilled independent work visa (Subclass189).
You can also attach an application letter when your sponsor’s paperwork. Nevertheless, you can also do the application all by yourself online via the DHA website.
- Wait for a response.
This might take several months, an average of 3 months. In 2016, it took 3 months for the processing of the subclass 189 visas.
- Receive your Visa and start working.
This is the last step in the process.
Once your visa application is approved, you can commence working in Australia under a subclass 189 visa.
Additionally, migration resources will help you on matters such as;
- How to become an Australian permanent resident
- More about skill select program and how it works
- General skilled migration
- Australian skills.
A local migration agent will assist you to complete your skilled visa application fast and accurately. Find out more about the Gold coast based migration agent.
Also Read: How to Get College Scholarships to Study during COVID-19.